French Education in Portland
French Schools, Language Classes and Daycare in Portland area
- Alliance Française of Portland: offers a range of French language classes for anglophone children and adults. Summer camp program for children.
- Atlas Immersion Academy, serving infants and preschoolers in SW Portland
- Culture Club (SW Portland): Offers afterschool program in beginning and "emerging" French for ages 5-9. Also delivers custom-designed programs to families and schools.
- French American International School, Northwest Portland, preschool-middle school, summer camp program
- International Leadership Acadamy, Lake Oswego: French immersion, preschool & elementary, afterschool program, summer camp program
- Le Monde French Immersion Public Charter School, scheduled to open in SW Portland (site not yet announced) in Fall 2012, initially serving kindergarten and first grade.
- L'Espoir Preschool of the Arts, Fine arts and French language for preschoolers.
- L'Etoile French Immersion School, in SW Portland, offers preschool-2nd grade
- Petit Pois Daycare: Located in Southwest Portland, Petit Pois Daycare offers French/English bilingual daycare for infants, toddlers, and children up to four years of age.
Portland Community College offers non-credit courses to the community for Summer 2012 (June-August), held at various PCC campuses:
- French Conversation: Beginning Term I
- Beginning Conversational French
- French Conversation: Beginning Term II
- French Conversation: Beyond Beginning Term II
- French: Intermediate
- French Verbs and Conversation
- Keeping Up In French
- French for Travelers
- French Immersion Workshop
- Charlemagne at Fox Hollow Elementary School: French immersion elementary school in Eugene, Oregon, part of Eugene's public school system.
French Conversation Groups in Portland Metro Area
- Parlons français ensemble!: Meet-up group with 200 members in Portland plans various get-togethers to talk about French films, French cooking, culture, travel, etc.
Study in France and Student Exchange Programs
High school programs
- AFS: One of the largest student exchange programs for high school age students, AFS organizes exchanges with five French-speaking countries: France, Belgium, Switzerland, Tunisia and Gabon. Send your child abroad, or welcome a French-speaking child to your family by becoming a host. Approved by Portland Schools.
- ASSE International Student Exchange Programs: Offers high school exchange programs with France. Approved by Portland Schools
- AYUSA: 1-year study abroad and summer programs in France for American high school students. You can also host a French high school student. Approved by Portland Schools.
- CIEE: Offers High school and gap year programs in France. Approved by Portland Schools
- Andeo International Homestays: Offers immersion programs in France for high school students. Portland families can also host a student from France.
- Oregon Abroad: Study-in-France program for students at 7 Oregon state universities, offering 1-year programs at universities in Lyon and Poitiers.
- IE3: Oregon State University runs this internship program for undergraduate and graduate students at 16 Pacific Northwest colleges, giving work experience in French at companies or institutions in France (Annecy, Lyon and Poitier), Gabon, Tunisia, Tanzania and Senegal.
- API (Academic Programs International): approved as a study-abroad organizer by Oregon State University, API offers French studies programs at universities in Paris, Caen and Grenoble.
- AHA International: University of Oregon offers this study-abroad program in Angers for both academic term and summer. Also available to Oregon State University students.
- Euraupair: Welcome a French university student to your home as an au pair to assist with childcare and light housework.
- Andeo International Homestays: Offers immersion programs in France for college students and adults. Portland families can also host a student from France.
Immersion/Travel Programs in France for Adults
French Studies Programs in Portland and Oregon Universities
- Portland State University French Studies
- University of Portland French Studies
- Lewis & Clark College French Studies Program
- Reed College French Department
- Portland Community College French Studies (Sylvania and Rock Creek campuses)
- Willamette University Department of French
- University of Oregon French Studies
This post is also available in: French